Artist Call Out
With Tees Valley Arts we are looking to appoint an artist in residence as part of our Exchange Residency. This will begin in Autumn 2021 and run through to Autumn 2022. We’re really looking forward to finding out what might inspire artists and communities to explore this further with us. Read on for further information and how to apply.
We are inviting artist applications to a year-long residency scheme exploring the cultural life of a historic centre of the town – Exchange Square, between Autumn 2021 and Autumn 2022.
This area was the hub of commercial activity during the town’s rise to prominence and remained an important exchange point, either from commerce or transportation with both the railway station and the bus stations located in this district, through until the 1980s.
Exchange Square was Middlesbrough’s Victorian commercial and financial district and is located in the heart of the Middlesbrough High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ).
There have been numerous historic buildings past and present which once played an important role within the town’s history. This includes The Royal Exchange, Commerce House, Jordison’s Print Works, the former Post Office and Bolckow House.
More recently the Square has been an important centre for the town’s nightlife with several well-established bars and nightclubs located within the grand former civic buildings.
This residency will focus on researching, relating, and exchanging the histories of the town that matter to the communities living and working within the HSHAZ.
Tees Valley Arts and Navigator North as part of Middlesbrough Cultural Partnership are seeking an artist to explore the hidden heritage narratives of this place and the communities who continue to use it.
This residency will –
- Offer an artist an opportunity to research and respond to the hidden heritage narrative that exists within the town.
- Connect with communities to uncover and celebrate heritage stories in a meaningful way.
- Become part of a growing archive of responses to the heritage of Middlesbrough, made by artists and the wider community.
- Develop exhibition or public realm outcomes in association with Tees Valley Arts and Navigator North (as programme leads).
- Work with the Exchange Researcher in Residence to consider other avenues for dissemination of research.
- Engage with the relevant steering panels to help envisage the future of the HSHAZ and ensure that its communities’ stories are reflected (supported by Tees Valley Arts and Navigator North)
The deadline for sending applications to email@example.com is 5pm Friday 30th July 2021.